Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Milwaukee or bust...

Yesterday I had my second knee boarding adventure.  The sunset on the lake was absolutely beautiful, I’m not injured and I completed two consecutive 360s on the board.  Needless to say… good times were had by all.  J
Today, I’ve been planning my upcoming mini-vacation to Milwaukee.  As we have discussed… I am a planner.  Most vacations require a detailed itinerary, and while I am building some down time into that itinerary for Brett’s sake (since he has so graciously agreed to accompany me to Wisconsin), this one is really no different.  It didn’t take much research to find there is so much to do there it’s going to be hard to narrow down the list.  Milwaukee is packed with history, and being the history nerd that I am, I hope to see it all.  But at the same time, I hope to balance some of the things Brett will enjoy as well.
So far, here are some of the things on the agenda…
... A Night in Old Milwaukee… this sounds like is a really cool, classy party event with hors d’oeuvres, drinks and entertainment at the Milwaukee Public MuseumWhile this is right up my alley and Brett isn’t a huge fan of museums, I think he will actually enjoy this event. 
... Shrimp boil and Fish Fry at Discovery World followed by dessert at the Harley-Davidson Museum.  The fish fry was definitely added to the itinerary for Brett, though I am excited about Discovery World.  And I saw online where there is a special display at the Harley-Davidson Museum of the bikes and memorabilia used in the movie Captain America, which could also be cool to see.  
... a 5K run along the Lake Michigan shoreline.  I’m the runner of the two of us, though Brett also agreed to do this with me.  I think it will be a beautiful and relaxing run and I’m pretty excited about it. 
... brewery Tour.  Of course… how can one visit Milwaukee and not visit “Milwaukee’s Best.”  This is another one thrown in there for Brett.  We will tour both the Miller Brewery and the Lakefront Brewery. 
... a boat tour.  Unless we find a better way to get out on the lake, I am tentatively scheduling us “A Morning on the Water” which is a 2.5 hour guided boat tour of the Milwaukee River and Lake Michigan.   
... I was hoping to find a good concert while we were out there… but no such luck.  All I found was Rodney Carrington (still debating on if this is worth adding to the itinerary) and Rock the Green which is a music festival.  The talent lineup includes The Fray, Ben Folds, Michelle Branch and Christina Perri, among others.  Not the best lineup... but not the worst either.  It might be cool to check out for a bit though I don’t think we’ll stay the entire time.
... I found a couple of really cool local places I also want to check out.  One of which is a sassy  and sophisticated bar and lounge called Blu.  It’s located on the 23rd floor of the Pfister Hotel.  The view alone will make stopping by there worth it to me.  I also want to check out the downtown area and the Greendale shopping district. 
Who knows what else we might find when we get there.  If any of you know of any can't-miss attractions in Milwaukee, send them my way.  Oh and did I mention this is a work trip.  That seems to be the only way I can get a vacation these days… if I’m working through it.  I will be in educational sessions all day… that’s when Brett gets his down time.  J  I hadn’t even filled him in on that part yet.  J  No actually, there are a few of the events in the actual conference I think he might really be interested in and then one of the days I plan to send him off on a chartered fishing trip on Lake Michigan while I’m growing as a city administrator.  Maybe he can bring home some salmon.  J
The good news however is that I was awarded a conference scholarship from ICMA that paid for my (and Brett’s) conference registration as well as our hotel room during the conference and my flight to and from Milwaukee.  So the only cost I am out is the extra two days in the hotel, Brett’s flight and all the fun stuff we plan to do.  Makes it a pretty economical vacation.  J  Despite the having to work thing, it will be a lot of fun.  I’m really looking forward to it.
We leave on this trip the day after my Netflix deadline… so I better get to work.  Tonight I’m running into Tulsa with Brett to get a birthday gift for his mom.  Then I hope to get caught up on the three weeks of True Blood I’m behind.  This not having cable thing stinks.  L  I’m hoping to make a dent in that living room ceiling next week.  I’ll keep you posted on the progress…

No comments:

Post a Comment