Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Fast cars, fillings and filings...

Today is the second Monday of this week…
After working late last night because of a City Council meeting while my friends played on the lake without me, I went home feeling a little sorry for myself.  (Geez, I’m such a griper).  I tried to stay busy… did laundry, ironed clothes, took a shower, watched a movie, and finally went to bed right around midnight.  I didn’t sleep well… woke up several times throughout the night, finally falling to a normal sleep at just after 5:00 am.  Then at 7:27 am, I woke up in a bit of a panic.  I had a dentist appointment at 8:00 am… in Broken Arrow.  So I figured I could get ready for work after the appointment.  I washed my face, threw on shorts and a t-shirt, put my hair back in a ponytail and brushed my teeth (I thought the dentist would appreciate that).  I made time only to put the clothes I washed last night in the dryer so they wouldn’t sour today and then Kit and I hit the road… apparently a little too fast…
Right as I was rounding a curve on the Creek Turnpike at 83 miles per hour at 7:51 am and still about 12 minutes from my destination, there he was… Trooper Looper (yes, that really was his name).  He got behind me, drove for just a while, clearly running my tag which looks to be expired but is not (I’m just too lazy to put the new sticker on… it’s been in my cup holder since February) and finally hit his lights.  I changed lanes and pulled off to the right.  He told me I was speeding and asked if I was late to school.  I looked at him like he was crazy, forgetting that I probably do look about 19 with my ponytail and no makeup.  When I gave him my dazed look and didn’t answer he asked where I was headed to in such a hurry.  I told him I was late for a dentist appointment, to which he responded, “You’re going to have to give me something more believable then that.  No one’s in a hurry to get to the dentist.”  Then I laughed and we talked briefly.  He told me that pending my driver license didn’t show me to be a felon, he planned to let me go with a warning and asked me to come back to his car while he ran my information.  I was pretty impressed with the computer system he had in there and I’m sure he thought I was strange when I started asking him questions about it.  He played along though and enthusiastically answered them all, showing me everything from the card reader to the software and how to use it.  I finally said, “I wish our guys had something like this.”  Then I got his dazed and confused look.  I told him I worked for the City of Claremore.  He asked what I did there and I said I am the Executive Officer.  Dazed and confused look again… oh yes, that’s because I look like a teenager right now.  He actually looked at my license to see how old I was.  It was kind of funny. 
He finally let me go with my warning, driver license and insurance verification in hand.  As I was getting out of his car he said, “Have fun at the dentist!”  Gee thanks, Trooper Looper.  J
So I texted mom (who works at the dentist) and told her I was running late and got back on the road setting the cruise control for right at the speed limit.  I arrived only about 13 minutes late and they seated me immediately.  Then the fun started.  I had to get two cavities filled.  L  I haven’t had a cavity in years and was so disappointed when two baby cavities were discovered in #6 and #11 at my routine cleaning a couple weeks ago.  For those of you who aren’t familiar with how to number teeth, those are my two canines.  How do you get a cavity in your canines?  Especially both at the same time?  All my previous cavities were in molars… these were my first front and center cavities.  So after the numbing and needles and drilling and patching and more drilling and smoothing and blah, blah, blah, they released me with a numb face.  I’m not sure why the dentist feels it’s necessary to numb you from your cheekbones to your chin just to work on two very small areas, but as I’m writing this six hours later, the feeling is just starting to come back in my nose. 
After leaving Dr. Carlile’s office I headed back home to make myself look presentable for work.  I cranked the A/C to an all-time low at my house to try to cool it down for work I plan to do in the attic this evening and headed for City Hall.  I arrived to find that the local newspaper is planning to file charges against the City for what they consider to be a violation of the Oklahoma Open Meetings Act.  They’re absolutely mistaken and the charges will be thrown out, though you’ll never read that on the front page.  Just one more thing I have to deal with that distracts me from doing my actual job.  Someday I will again be able to serve citizens… I hope.
Only two more hours left at the office and still a huge stack of work to do.  But that’s okay… job security, right.  J  I will get to it this week.  I have to, or I’ll end up throwing it all away.  After all, some of it has been sitting there past the use-it-or-trash it deadline.  This seriously is what my desk looks like right now…
My messy desk
I know what you’re thinking… why are you blogging if your desk looks like that?  Well… because I promised you I would. J  But you are right… time to get back to work.  I’ll post a picture of the desk Friday to show you how much I accomplish.  Until tomorrow…

No comments:

Post a Comment